According to a recent article in Forbes, remote working has significantly increased the likelihood of data breaches, an important issue that businesses must stay on top of due to the amount of remote work now being done. Examples of large security violations that are being solved through class action lawsuits include a T-Mobile breach that impacted over 75 million people and the breach by Equifax which exposed the personal information of 147 million people.
These breaches and security violations serve as a strong reminder that virtually every size of business in Columbus, Ohio must responsibly and proactively protect their customers’ information. Because remote working has skyrocketed more than 44% in the last five years, this has increased vulnerabilities across the board for businesses and consumers alike. Each employee must be highly vigilant and aware of the document and computer security requirements for their data to be safe.
Breaches, like the ones mentioned earlier, serve as profound warnings for other companies. Not only does it emphasize the need for all Columbus, Ohio businesses to act responsibly and diligently when handling their customers’ confidential information, but it also is an important reminder that each business is liable that all information gathered be securely handled. Every company should ensure that the personal data they collect – whether at home or in the office – is properly protected against theft or misuse. This means having appropriate technical measures such as:
- multi-factor authentication
- Strong randomly generated passwords
- Document disposal requirements, including storage and timely secure shredding
- Hiring a professional, NAID AAA-certified shredding company for guaranteed, timely, and affordable paper shredding
Lawsuits and settlements resulting from data breaches are costly and damaging. They expose a company to significant fines and reputational damage, not to mention the cost of subsequent class-action lawsuits. As a result, Columbus, Ohio businesses should ensure that their systems are regularly tested for vulnerabilities, ensure that data security policies are in place, and have incident response plans, as well as written procedures for employees that encompass secure computer data, pape,r and file storage, and shredding.
The negative repercussions of data breaches also remind residents and businesses alike of the importance of data privacy and security. Customers should be aware that their personal information is not necessarily safe from theft or misuse, even if held by a trusted company. All papers that are printed should be securely stored and then shredded in a reasonable time frame to best protect document security. Finally, a professional shredding company like Royal Document Destruction should be hired, with the added benefit that professional shredding businesses take the liability of the documents as soon as they are picked up by their staff.
The overall goal must be to protect information through effective corporate policies. Importantly, business liability doesn’t change whether the employee is working from home or at the office. Companies in Columbus, Cincinnati, Dayton, and the surrounding areas should outsource their paper shredding to a professional shredding company like Royal Document Destruction, a NAID AAA-certified, bonded, and insured, paper shredding expert.
While hiring a paper shredding company in Columbus, Ohio may seem like an expensive solution, it is economical, in terms of money, time, environmental savings, and liability.
Why Hire A Professional Paper Shredding Company in Ohio?
- Employee productivity is better utilized as the staff can continue their work uninterrupted by trips to the shredder.
- Employees aren’t individually deciding what should be shredded and what is safe to throw out. With a professional shredding company, it is easy to implement a “shred everything” program.
- Hiring a NAID AAA-certified shredding company in Central Ohio is a simple way to guarantee compliance with all federal regulations, such as HIPAA and the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act.
- The security and liability of paper documents are transferred to the professional shredding company in a very timely manner, which is best for the businesses who hire them.
- Employees can work more effectively at their respective tasks. Automation of office processes is a big benefit and creates a more economical work environment.
- When documents are placed on the curb for trash pickup, or taken to an office supply store for eventual shredding, it is impossible to control who sees them or where and when they go. Hiring a professional shredding company eliminates this worry.
- Operating in an eco-friendly manner isn’t just good for the environment – it’s good for business, too. Forbes reports that 87% of consumers feel more positive about working with a business if it supports positive social or environmental issues.
- The paper picked up by Royal Document Destruction is 100% recycled. No paper goes into the waste stream.
Recycling a single ton of paper with Royal Document Destruction is enough to save 17 trees, 7000 gallons of water, 380 gallons of oil, and more than 3 cubic yards of landfill space!
- Royal Document Destruction offers customized service programs to all businesses and residential clients to maximize efficiencies and minimize the cost of your Columbus or Cincinnati, Ohio shredding needs.
Businesses must all worry about security. The ability to protect data is of huge importance to every company’s reputation and financial success. Professional paper shredding is one of those unique services that benefit all parties involved, including the environment.
Contact Royal Document Destruction for Certified Shredding Services
For over two decades, Royal Document Destruction has been the leading provider of certified document and hard drive destruction in Columbus, OH. Our family-run business prides itself on offering an unrivaled level of service, so reach out to us if you are looking for secure shredding services near Columbus or Cincinnati!